Main Article Content
This study on collection, categorization and description of Calbayog Folksongs employed a qualitative method of research utilizing descriptive method. This was conducted in selected barangays in Calbayog City where folk songs are still popular and sung by the community and the elderly. In determining the participants of the study, purposive sampling was applied. The criteria used in classifying songs as Calbayog folksongs were: the folksongs must be transferred orally from the great grandparents; the folksongs must be within social and cultural frameworks in which the songs are sung in particular occasions; and the folksongs must be a localized tradition. The Calbayog folksongs were categorized into seven categories: Drinking Songs, Humorous Songs, Lullaby Songs, Requiem Songs, Love Songs, Meeting Songs, and Songs about Nature. Based on the analysis of the songs and from the data obtained from the interview, the intents being described from Calbayog folksongs could be classified into six themes: Nostalgic Lullaby; Inspired Labor; Deep Realization; Unrelenting Dedication: Honoring Death; and Delighting Socialization. Each of these themes has sub-themes. Moreover, the analysis of the folk songs showed that the values being described could be grouped into four themes: Social Responsibility; Holy and loved; An Act of Respect; and Elements of Pleasure. Each of these themes also shows sub-themes. From the data obtained, the researcher was able to develop a compendium of Calbayog Folksongs which could be used by teachers in Calbayog City Division as instructional material in teaching MAPEH specifically, Music.
- . 3:12 Colosas. (2014, October 5). Holy Bible. New York City, United States of America: Watchtower Bible and Track Society.
- . Aplan, V. G. (2013). Folksongs from Retrieved studies: A Textual Analysis. Catarman, Northern Samar: University of Eastern Philippines.
- . Blog, N. (2018). When Someone Great is Gone: Songs About Death. NME, https://www.google.com/amp/www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/songs-about-death-5265/amp.
- . Cardeño, G. (1996). Analysis of Educational Values Reflected in the Song. Northern Samar: University of Eastern Philippines.
- . Cutler, P. (2019). Deep Realization in Life. Living a Voice, https://n-lightenment.com/deepest-realization.
- . DepEd Memo Order No. 35, No. 35, s. 2016 (Department of Education 2016).
- . Everskemper, A. M. (2010). Love Songs and Their Meanings throughout History. Ezine@Articles, https://ezinearticles.com/?Love-song-and-Their-Meanings-Throughout-History&id=4245601.
- . Foley, B. (2017). Purposive Sampling 101. Surveygizmo, surveygizmo.com.
- . Ganti, A. (2019). Social Responsibility. Investopedia, https://www.investopedia.com/ters/s/socialresponsibility.asp.
- . Herald, T. S. (2014). Editorial: The legacy that inspired labor day. The Sun Journal. Search Proquest, https://search.proquest.com/docview/1558458451?accountid=173015.
- . =17305.
- . John R. Gold ; George Revill. (2006). Gathering the voices of the people? Cecil Sharp, Cultural Hybridity, and the folk music of Appalacha. Springer: Geojournal.
- . Knevett, A. A. (2011). The Rescue, Reclamation or Plunder of Folk Song: A History of the Folk Song Society 1898-1932. Proquest Dissertation and Thesis Global , https://search.proquest.com/docview/144248172?accountid=173015.
- . Magee. (2010). Irish Traditional Music Sessions. Traditional Music Society and Local Musicean, https://search.proquest.com/docview/1614532959?accountid=173015.
- . Magil, J. (2009). Howells:Violin Sonata 1; Britten: SUite; VAUGHAN WILLIAMS: Sonata: The Recore Connoisseur's Magazine. American Record Guide, 72, 101-102, https://search.proquest.com/docview/223349882?accountid=173015.
- . Mao, T. (2010). Consumer Culture and Transformation of Minority of Traditional Song and Dance Feature. Proquest Dissertation and Thesis Global, https://search.proquest.com/docview/168708592?accountid=173015.
- . Mekbib, F. (2009). Folksong Based Appraisal of Bioecocultural Heritage of sorghum (Sorghum Bicolor (L) Moench): A New Approach in Ethnobiology. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, 5, 19. doi, http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1746-4269-5-19.
- . Ozdek, A. (2015). The Role of Folk Music as Cultural Heritage in the Curriculum of Vocational high School of music: Pattern of Azerbaijan-Turkey. Anadolu Journal of Education Science International, Art Education Special Issue, http://dergipark.org.tr>arctic...PDF.
- . Pam, G. N. (2007). Story behind the song: Minister's song typical of the camp meeting songs of the 19th century. Proquest Search- McClatchy- Tribune Business News, https://search.proquest.com/docview459301652?accountid=173015.
- . Ravenscraft, E. (2014). How to Survive a Party or Social Gathering as an Introvert. Lifehacker, https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifehacker.com/how-to-survive-a-party-or-social-gathering-as-an-introvert-1619955860/amp.
- . Russel Grieger, P. D. (2017). Developing Unrelenting drive, dedication, and Determination. Routledge, https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=WosZDgAAQBAJ&pg=PT1&lpg=PT1&dq=unrelenting+dedication&source=bl&ots=xr_M77YpmH&sig=ACfU3U0b_b5b8zq-4vTbRyyJJ76u854ncQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZ0Knc1PfjAhVOuZ4KHe6nBuwQ6AEwE3oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=unrelenting%20dedication&.
- . Srinagar, K. (2015). Show Equal Improtace, Respect to Sacred Days of All religions: SC Judge to Modi. Search Proquest, https://search.proquest.com/docview/16696995493?accountid=173015.
- . Traditional and Ethnic. (2019, July 22). Retrieved from www.loc.gov/collections: https://www.loc.gov/collections/songs-of-america/articles-and-essays/musical-styles/traditional-and-ethnic/